Having been in business for over 20 years, it’s no secret: to get ahead, you have to promote yourself in some way, shape or form. And, if you’re like me and the majority of the population, you’re probably a little (or a whole lot) uncomfortable with the idea of “putting yourself out there”.
Yet, what many don’t realize is that to achieve your goals it is key that you learn how to promote yourself successfully and to promote yourself successfully, requires you being able to create opportunities for yourself. Work that backwards:
- if you want to achieve your goals …
- you have to create opportunity …
- to create opportunity, you need to put yourself out there!
And it’s not just in business that self promotion is required for success, it is vital for career advancement and essential to creating strong networks, both personally and professionally.
So why do we shy away from self-promotion? Misguided beliefs. Self sabotage.
- Cultural Values: If you were taught from a young age that you should be humble, stay in the background, be seen and not heard, then putting your achievements out for all to see seems to fly in the face of your values.
- Great Work = A Great Reputation: People are not mind readers. They have no way of knowing what great work you are doing, unless you tell them. You have to market your contribution to be recognized for your value.
- It’s just shady: In the world we live in today, you have to be responsible for your own destiny whether it be in your career pathway or growing your own business. Don’t be a victim. To be considered for a new job, a new opportunity or new business, you have to be out there and be known.
Simply put, you need to:
- get over yourself,
- dispel these myths, these self sabotaging beliefs and
- create a shift in mindset, a new strategy to powerfully connect and communicate with the world.
We all know the saying when you get out of your own way, results are achieved. One step at at time:
- Acknowledge your capabilities and achievements
- Build a bridge over your self limiting beliefs
- Chase up those testimonials
- Dust off those recommendations and accolades
- Embrace new technology and tell the world
Are self sabotaging beliefs holding you back from marketing YOU INC?
What three things can you do differently, right now, today?
The choice is yours.
Go on – what have you got to lose?