A concept that has stuck with me over the years is the concept of the “The Line”. This powerful life skill is a foundation learning that I incorporate as a core training module for leadership, communication and team development programs and have passed on to many coaching clients. It is a simple, yet powerful concept.
No matter what the situation is, there are two choices you have, to respond from either below the line or above the line. When you live below the line you:
- Blame ~ someone or something else when things don’t work out.
- Make Excuses ~ it’s never your fault, it’s beyond your control.
- Deny ~ that the problem even exists or it simply has nothing to do with you.
Alternatively, living above the line means you:
- Take Ownership ~ of your life or situation
- Are Accountable ~ for your actions or inactions, willing to face the consequences
- Are Responsible for your choices ~ you cannot control others or things that happen around you. What you are able to control is your response. You have a choice, you have the ability to respond.
Surprisingly, living above the line is not a hard thing to do. Initially, it takes a concentrated effort to form new habits. Yet, once mastered you can
- speak above the line,
- think above the line,
- act above the line
- work above the line and
- live above the line.
And yes you will find yourself below the line – we all do, that’s just life. The key is to:
- recognize that you are there
- take ownership of the fact and
- take action to move yourself back above the line so as not to dwell there for extensive periods of time.
You have a choice in life with every little decision or event that comes up. You can choose to:
- be response-able or not
- be successful or not
- think like a winner or not!
The choice you make will impact your career, your business, your relationships, your life and ultimately your happiness.
So give it a go – live above the line this week.
Go on, make the choice.
What have you got to lose?
Other posts you might enjoy: Response-able