All week I procrastinated doing something I should have just done ages ago. I procrastinated not because I was too busy, I’ve always got heaps going on in my life. I procrastinated because I agreed to do something I didn’t really want to do in the first place and somehow found myself saying yes to!
So this week I took the bull by the horns and did the “Nike” thing and “JUST DID IT”. And after all that it wasn’t so difficult, it didn’t take as much time as I thought it would and it’s now done and dusted, it’s off my to do list and out of my head!
Are you a procrastinator? Do you put off those difficult or boring tasks, tasks you don’t really want to do? Do you constantly put things off before a last minute scramble?
The reasons why you may be procrastinating is endless:
- You’re bored
- You’ve got better things to do in your life
- You’ve agreed to something you don’t want to do
- You’re overwhelmed by what you have to do
- Your confidence has slipped
- You have low self-esteem
- You have no idea how to do what you need to do
- You are doing something you don’t really enjoy
- You are easily distracted, or
- Maybe you’re just being stubborn or lazy!
I am sure you can add a whole lot more, and no matter what your reason (or excuse) is, the only answer in the end is ACTION!
- Get the picture. Create a vivid picture of the future, of having the job completed, no great cloud hanging over you, a clear head and freedom from dread and worry. Really capture the moment – that’s what motivated me in the end. Don’t waste your limited energy, time or brain matter more than you need to by procrastinating.
- Get over yourself. Accept that you sometimes have to suck it up and do the hard yards. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you’ve just gotta do what you’ve got to do. Not everything in life is easy and fun. Focus on results not reasons.
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
What have you been putting off that could be holding you back from having an awesome day?
What can you tick off your to do list and feel good about today
It’s your choice.