Self discipline is your ability to make yourself:
- do what you should do,
- when you should do it,
- whether you feel like it or not.
- It’s the capacity to overcome your perceived fears, weaknesses and barriers.
- It’s the ability to pursue what you want, even when those around you or your own insecurities are working against you.
Yep, we all know what self discipline is yet when it comes to putting it into action, that’s the difficult part. So many times I hear people say “I just don’t have the self discipline”. Rubbish! Although it is not something you are born with or without, it is a skill we all have.
Just as everyone has different muscular strength, we all possess different levels of self-discipline. And like any skill we want to master, if you really want to be self disciplined, if you want to hardwire it into your brain, you need to practice it, daily.
For me self discipline requires three key ingredients that go hand in hand, focus, motivation and persistence.
1. Focus: The clearer I am on I want to achieve, why I want to achieve it and what success will look like when I get there, the more likely I am to succeed.
2. Motivation: The more I want it, the more value I see in doing it, the stronger the reason, the more passionate I am, the more determined I become to accomplish it.
3. Persistence: The clearer my focus and stronger my motivation, the easier it is to take the ups and the downs, to brush off failure and keep going no matter what the distraction.
Is it easy? No and just like any muscle, the more you train it or use it, the stronger it becomes, the easier it becomes to do more. The less you train it, the weaker you become, the harder even the small things.
Begin today: take your first step ~ persist ~ reap the rewards.
Forget about how you feel and just do it?
What’s holding you back?