We are all afraid of rejection to some degree or another.
- A friend who has moved on.
- A partner who has lost interest.
- A bank that refuses you a loan.
- Another “we will keep your details on file” letter.
Rejection is part of life. I have learned it is not something you can escape.
And what you can do, is learn to let it go so it’s not so destructive and devastating. Often easier said than done, so a few tips to keep you on top of any feelings of rejection.
- Balance – the word “NO” can unbalance you and it’s not about you. Everyone gets turned down, don’t take it personally. Most times you will not be able to see the complete picture, it could simply be the timing, the role or the circumstances. You have no idea what’s really going on
- Energy – our reaction to rejection will be the turning point. Don’t dwell on it, don’t over analyze it, don’t over talk it to others. Go for a walk, listen to music, take a nap. It is what it is and unless you can change it, going over and over the situation will only drain your energy and waste your time.
- Momentum – keep your perspective, stay out of the pain of the past or fear of the future. Rejection only lasts a moment. Breath, Smile, Relax – let it go and move forward, on to your next opportunity.
- Get Over It – if you didn’t prepare as you should, if you behaved badly, if you were running late, stop beating yourself up and ask yourself what have you learnt? What can you do differently? Figure out how to do it better next time – then DO IT!
- Expect more – if you dream big and dare to do the unthinkable you will hit rejection more often, that’s the price you pay for being awesome. Remember for every”NO” you receive, you’ll be one step closer to your “YES”.
- Keeping asking – when you hear “NO” so what. Don’t give up. You’re the same person, in the same position you were in before you asked. Be bold, ask again, ask often.
Life happens. Do not take it personally.
Do not let fear reduce the possibilities and opportunities that await you.