Our world is full of distraction. There is always so much we want to do and want to see and there just never seems to be enough hours in the day to do “everything”. The answer? FOCUS.
Few skills are as important as the ability to FOCUS. It is through FOCUS that we
- can be happier,
- can get more done,
- can have less stress,
- can be more effective.
AND FOCUS takes DISCIPLINE.
Yet, many view discipline is a dirty word, one that is equated with the absence of freedom. I believe the opposite is true, as Stephen Covey once wrote, “the undisciplined are slaves to moods, appetites and passions”.
- acting according to what you think instead of how you feel in the moment.
- sacrificing the pleasure and thrill of the moment for what matters most in life.
- focusing on what you need to do today to develop your career, build your business and have a happy life.
So, simple steps to disciplining yourself to remain focussed.
1. Create a mindset – Get rid of the negative, stop focusing on what you are missing out on, instead see the bigger picture of what you want to achieve.
2. Count the cost – Consider what a lack of focus is costing you in time, energy and lost opportunities, be honest, it may be the kick in the pants you need.
3. First things first – Every day have a plan, to do the highest value things first. The majority of people waste about 80% of each day working on low level, low return activities, don’t let this be you.
It’s up to you to take charge of how you invest your given seconds, minutes and hours. And, if you can master FOCUS and DISCIPLINE, it will feel like you CAN create more hours in a day, get more done, with less stress!
So, your task today is to:
- get clear on what is important to you
- get clear on why it is important to you
- then focus your attention on where it needs to be today and do not let things distract you.
Remember, the pain of regret is far more than the pain of discipline.
How focused are you?
What are your plans for today? What comes first?