The internet is not playing nice this morning …
And great reading this week, “Mindset – How You Can Fulfil Your Potential” by Dr Carol S Dweck comparing two prevalent mindsets, a fixed mindset and a growth mindset.
The Fixed Mindset – believing you only have a certain amount of intelligence, a certain personality and a certain moral character. Every situation is evaluated: Will I succeed or fail? Will I look smart or dumb? Will I be accepted or rejected? Will I feel like a winner or a loser?
The Growth Mindset – based on the belief that your basic qualities are things you can cultivate through your efforts. Although people may differ in every which way, their initial talents and aptitudes, interests or temperaments, everyone can change and grow through application and experience.
With a fixed mindset you believe
- this is it, this is the hand you were dealt with
- success is about proving you’re smart or talented
- failure is having a setback
Having a growth mindset you believe
- the hand you are dealt with is just the starting point
- success is about stretching yourself to learn something new, developing yourself
- failure is about not growing, not reaching for the things you value
This book makes for very easy reading and has you think about your own approach to life and the many challenges it brings. Which mindset are you in?
The key message – you can change your mindset!