All our lives have patterns, routines and habits – some more pleasurable than others. Most are habits of a lifetime. How you walk, sit, and talk, how you respond to the world, how you act in front of others and how you think, all are habits. Life is one big accumulation of habits.
The great thing about habits is that they free you up, they free your mind.
- You don’t have to think about how to drive, so you can be alert to danger while you drive.
- You don’t have to think about how to eat, so you can enjoy the array of food available to us.
- You don’t have to think about how to walk, so you can concentrate on where you are going.
Habits, highly correlated with success or failure, can serve you well.
- Research confirms that your habits determine 95% of your behavior.
- Doing something everyday, you can achieve goals that would be otherwise impossible.
- Doing something everyday, you become more focused, organized and on track.
Those “other” habits the ones you would love to kick – the great news is, you can kick them, you can break them, and first get clear on the answers to the following:
1. Be Honest – What are the habits you have that are keeping you from achieving your goals? Be honest with yourself, you know what they are.
2. Find the Purpose – What do you get from your habit? Whatever your habit is, it will be serving a purpose.
3. Identify your Goals – Do you have goals you want to achieve? Get clear on the goals you want to achieve and what success looks like.
4. Create a connection – How will kicking the habit help you to fulfill your goals? Realign your thinking by connecting 25-100 ways kicking the habit will get you to your goal faster.
Your future will be formed through your habits, so, strengthen the good and kick the bad – both are possible.